National Trivia Day was Monday, January 4, but I just couldn’t pass up the chance to delve into some wine trivia as a way to celebrate the New Year.
Test your wine knowledge and see how many of the answers you know.
1. When were the first wines produced?
Around 6600 B.C.
2. In the ancient world, what type of vessel held wine?
3. How long does it take for a grapevine to produce grapes?
Three to five years
4. How many grapevines make up an acre?
5. One ton of grapes will make how many cases of wine?
Around 60 cases or 720 bottles
6. How many grapes are in a bottle of wine?
600 – 800 grapes
7. How much wine is in a single barrel?
60 gallons, 25 cases or 300 bottles
8. How many pounds of grapes does one bottle contain?
About 2.8 lbs
9. A vintage wine is crafted from how many year’s harvests?
10. A non-vintage wine includes grapes from how many harvests?
Two or more years blended together
11. When was the corkscrew first patented?
1795 in England
12. What temperature should white wine be served at?
13. What temperature should red wine be served at?
14. How many calories are in a 5 ounce glass of dry red wine?
Sparkling wine is any effervescent wine not grown in the Champagne region of France.
16. What are the top three U.S. states for wine consumption?
California, New York, and Florida
Alright, you've earned a glass of wine. Cheers to the New Year!